Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5764287
Fire and water damage can happen for a variety of reasons. It can be a simple grease fire or an overflowing sink that can cause damage or it can be something more serious such as fire caused by lightning or water damage caused by flooding. Unless the fire or water damage was negligible, it is generally recommended that property owners seek the professional help of a fire and water restoration contractor.
Here is a summary of the typical services that will be offered by a fire and water restoration contractor.
Restoration services for damage caused by fire
- Smoke and soot removal - Smoke from a fire can linger for a very long time unless it is professionally removed. New Jersey fire and water restoration companies will use special deodorizers and ozone to completely remove smoke and its odor. Different materials in the house have different levels of smoke absorption and only an expert restoration company will know how to treat each material.
- Structural repair - Some homeowners will be surprised to know that a very large part of the building structure can be restored although it might look hopeless to the home owner. A professional fire and water restoration company will help you save a lot of money with restorations instead of destruction and rebuilding which can result in very high expenses.
- Damage to the floor - Often times, the floor is often the first to be damaged in a fire. A fire and water restoration contractor will be able to tell you if the floor in your house or property is salvageable with restoration work or if it will have to be replaced.
Restoration services for damage caused by water
- Water damage is the worst type of damage as it can lead to structural weakness, bacterial infections, toxic mold growth and many other problems that are best tackled by a professional restoration company. A fire and water restoration contractor will use various types of equipment such as dehumidifiers, blowers, truck mounted and portable water extraction units, moisture meters and hygrometers in their restoration process. This is definitely not something that can be managed by homeowners who will not have access to this costly and effective equipment.
- Different materials in the house require different types of drying as they all absorb moisture differently. A a fire and water restoration company will use the right equipment such as a dehumidifier or a blower for different types of materials in an effort to dry the property in the most efficient manner.
- Water follows the path of least resistance. In other words, it will seep into porous materials as and when it comes in contact with them. A fire and water restoration company will quickly be able to assess the water damage in your house and will advice you on which parts of the house are restorable and which parts cannot be salvaged and will have to replace. This is not common knowledge and you could stand to lose a lot if you didn't know how to prioritize your restoration efforts if you are doing it on your own.